Monday, March 30, 2015

Wood Chip Gardening

So I posted a video called "Back to Eden - A Documentary About Organic Gardening".  This video focuses on a garden in Washington state and its gardener Paul Gautschi.  It's basis is on biblical principals of how nature grows plants.  I thought to myself, "well I've tried just about everything else with less than desirable results".  My journey began today.

On the way home today I stopped at Quail Ridge for a scoop of mushroom compost. Once home, as instructed I laid down a layer of newspaper, and some cardboard as a base layer then using a  pitchfork I covered the base layer with 3-4 inches of compost.  Tomorrow I will pick up a load of wood chips from a pile the power company left after trimming trees near power lines and put 2-3 inches on top of the compost then repeat the whole process until my entire garden area is covered.  I hope to have this done by the end of April.

At some point in the documentary they mentioned worms.  Do worms just start showing up? or Do I go to the local bait shop and buy some for my garden?  I may have to do a bit more research.

The next blog will have some pictures to go along with my progress.

Since this will require lots of wood chips.  Give Goodfellers a call 540-710-9665 to schedule an appointment with our certified arborist or visit goodfellertreeco.com and complete the "I Need an Estimate" section.  We recycle 100% of tree waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment